Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mothers' Day

Happy Mothers' day, mommas!

My little one is moving around a lot today.  I like to think that this is her way of reassuring me.  Last night, on the eve of our national celebration of motherhood, I lay in my bed listening to my older daughter sing lullabies as my younger daughter seemed to dance along.  Bliss!

Tomorrow I expect the preliminary results from the amnio.  I have not really been thinking about it.  It is Mothers' Day and I spent a lovely day with my family.

At Church this morning, there was a special blessing for mothers.  I remember the first time I got to stand up for that blessing.  Three years ago, I was about as pregnant as I am now, I stood and cried at the thrill of being a parent.  On my way out that Sunday, an usher handed me a carnation and said, "I guess you are close enough."  Close enough?  I was a Mom!  From the moment I knew I was carrying a child, my life changed.  I was not "almost a mom," I was a mom!  I knew that some people did not think I was a mom yet, but I was stunned.  He meant well, of course.  I did not respond because I was not sure how to respond.  Fortunately, hubby knew better and I was spoiled rotten on my first mothers' day.

I was thinking about that again this year.  There is something special about being pregnant on Mothers' day.  Some things just make you feel like a Mom.

 My mother taught me everything I know about being a Mom, starting with looking in the right places for examples and help.  She introduced me to Mary, as mother.  She taught by example, and she showed me where to find the perfect example.  Thank you Mamacita!


Mary, on this day when we honor all mothers, we turn to you. We thank the Lord whom you serve for the great gift of motherhood. Never has it been known that anyone who sought your intercession was left unaided by grace. Dear Mother, thank you for your “Yes” to the invitation of the angel which brought heaven to earth and changed human history. You opened yourself to God’s word and the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us.  
Dear mother, intercede for all of our mothers. Ask your Divine Son to give them the grace of surrendered love so that they could join with you in giving their own “Fiat.” May they find daily strength to say yes to the call to the sacrificial love- the very heart of the vocation of motherhood. May their love and witness be a source of great inspiration for all of us called to follow your Son. 

No comments:

Post a Comment