Thursday, December 31, 2015

It is almost @)!^. No, I mean 2016.

A letter to myself in 2016

Dear me,

Its me. I know you think you know better because you're older and all, but I've got some things to tell you. It's important. Listen up.

It is going to be a tough year. How do I know? Well, I guess I don't. What I know is that every year you get all teary and nostalgic and you look back at think, man. This was a tough year. It is always a tough year if that is how you want to focus. Don't. Dig a little and find your inner optimist. She's still in there. 

Forgive yourself, but don't give yourself permission to screw up. You will do plenty of screwing up without deciding that it is OK. It isn't. Be better. Do better.

The internet is your echo chamber, not your conscience. You can pop online and find people saying whatever you want to hear. You want to read about why guns are bad? Ask Google why guns are bad. You want to read about why they are good? Ask Google why they are good. You want to know if guns are good or bad? Consult your conscience. 

You can go online and find a million people telling you that whatever you are doing or have done is OK. Maybe it is. I don't know. But if you are wondering, your conscience is bugging you. Stop doing it. Apologize. 

Love openly. Don't assume people know. Tell them often. You need to hear it. They need to hear it. Words have power. 

Words are not everything. Act with love. Give more. Do more. Love more. No excuses. 

You can probably convince most people that you are doing the best you can. You are not most people and you will not be convinced unless it is true. Make it true. Your people deserve the best you there is. You deserve the best you there is. 

Pray more. When you are having a hard day, pray. When you are happy, pray. When you don't want to forgive, pray. When you don't know what to do, pray. When you don't want to pray, pray harder.

Oh, and that thing about forgiving yourself? I meant it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment